Note : The edited version of this post appears in the Spotlight Section of Planet Bollywood, here.
This was the year of the little known film-maker. While big banners floundered with their attempts at crowd-pleasing cinema, small-time, independent film-makers carved out the top-spots with innovative, imaginative moves. Very pleased with the outcomes, I bring to you my picks for the Top 10 films of 2007 :
10. Taare zameen par : In the mood for a weepie ? A heart-tugging tale of a dyslexic little boy and an unsympathetic world, this one brings up the rear of the Top 10 count-down. Here’s the full review.
9. Honeymoon travels Pvt. Ltd : Reema Kagti’s first directorial venture, by way of Farhan Akhtar is a tale of a bunch of honey-mooners, out celebrating. With well-etched out characters, the elements of love, drama, humor, surprise, fantasy are nicely intertwined to create a clean, fresh, and enjoyable film. Full review here.
8. Jhoom-barabar-jhoom : This is your above average masala film with a twist. Shaad Ali’s second attempt at film-making , this one’s a little loopy, a little kitschy, and can boogie with the best. The full scoop here.
7. Bheja Fry : One of the better comedies of the year, this one still takes the cake for situational (and realistic) humor. Quirky characters abound, and inflict themselves upon poor, unsuspecting souls, creating a comedy of errors you won’t forget. Read the entire review.
6. Life in a metro : A group of stories all inter-twined, and each one well told. An amazing starcast brings the characters to life, and a great sound-track brings home the emotion. Metro is surely the thinking man’s cinema, and an engrossing film. Full review here.
5. Cheeni Kum : What, want more romance ? And you want it sans the juvenile inanities that make desi romances such a chore ? Well then, CK is it for you. A grown-up attitude towards amore, CK sizzles with wry wit, humor and superb acting. Love, is now, in the air. Here’s the full review.
4. Jab we met : I like JWM so much because it’s light, fluffy and melts in the mouth. Not without it’s flaws, and a slightly “heavy” second half, this one still comes in at #4 because of it’s humor, feel-good-ness and nicely done romance. The on-screen chemistry between Kareena and Shahid is a lovely bonus. Details here .
3. Manorama six feet under : Perry Mason, Poirot, move over ! Make way for our very own home-grown, small-town desi detective, Satyaveer Singh Randhawa. Not very Herculean by nature, Satyaveer’s attempts to do the right thing inspite of all odds, garners the film much appreciation and the #3 slot on this countdown. Read the full review here.
2. Johnny Gaddar : There are crime mysteries galore, but ever hear the one about how he got away ? An interesting, intelligent crime thriller, JG is top grade desi noir. Here’s the lowdown on the film.
1. Chak de India ! : How do you like your under-dog : rare, medium or well-done ? Well-done it seems with CDI, which takes the age-old formula, infuses it with charm, and feel-good vibes to trot out the most endearing film of the year. Classy flick this one – read the full review here.
Other watchable films for 2007 are few, and they are :
Hmmm … forgiving mood ? See the Worst Films of 2007.
Tags : Best films of 2007, Best hindi movies, Good hindi movies, Top 10 movies