This year was better than most; there were quite a few “sensible” films. Here then, are my Top 10 Hindi Movie Picks for 2011 :
10. Patiala House : A predictable family film, this brings up the rear. It’s overdone, but breezy and still fun to watch. Direction, script, screenplay all passable. Great songs, some nice thrumming bhangra beats, cricket, color and energy and a variety of characters, make this a satisfying watch.
9. Dil to bachcha hai ji : A Bhandarkar film makes it to the 9th spot. A light-hearted look at love, this amusing film is about three friends (almost) finding it!
8. Mujhse Fraandship Karoge : The teeny-bopper film of the year, this is a refreshing change from the mindless, juvenile lovey-dovey flicks of Bollywood. The well-etched characters are honest about themselves and, while ditzy in love, are likeable and fun – jut the way we like them.
7. Saheb, Biwi aur Gangster : Tigmanshu Dhulia’s latest, this is a quirky drama in an almost feudal setup. Mahie Gill, Jimmy Shergill and Randeep Hooda are the three strong and willful protagonists of this engrossing film.
6. The Dirty Picture : Vidya Balan’s unabashed, moving portrayal of Silk Smitha’s life brings this film to life. A bio-pic well-done, this Milan Luthria film narrowly misses the Top 5.
5. Shaitan : Anurag Kashyap’s remake of his earlier, star-crossed Paanch, Shaitan is about a bunch of richie-rich kids caught up in a bad situation. Dark, violent and gory at times, with a smattering of horror, this film is an engrossing watch.
4. Yeh saali zindagi : A great little film, YSZ is an off-beat crime-comedy caper that smarts with crackling dialogue and lovingly etched characters. Irfan Khan and Chitrangada Singh star in this delectable drama.
3. Zindagi na milegi dobara : A stylishly shot film about 3 affluent friends bromancing in Spain, this is directed by Zoya Akhtar, and stars her brother Akhtar, Hrithik Roshan and Abhay Deol. Lovely, like only the Akhtars can do it.
2. Shor in the city : A gritty crime thriller set in Maximum City, this film does have it’s sense of humor. A great mix of noir, high drama, pathos and thrills, SITC is one of the best films of the year, and an absolute must-see!
1. Rock Star : Imtiaz Ali’s ode to love, here and beyond, this ethereal romance is my Number 1 movie of the year. Ranbir Kapoor’s fine form and an outstanding musical soundtrack make this a great watch. American model Nargis Fakhri debuts.
Also see the Best Films of 2010.