Yes, I know you have been waiting for this post all year (with bated breath etc.) so I will get to it. But instead of doing the mini-review thingy like I usually do, I’ll tell you why the film made it on this list, and maybe embed a song. Clicking on the movie name will take you to the full review.
10. Happy Ending : The charming Ileana D’Cruz made this quirky film work.
9. Highway : I expected to be floored by this movie. I really did. I was not. Still, a decent film.
8. 2 States : This was an entertaining film. Cute. Young. Peppy. Fun. Lots of drama. Lots of gana-bajana. Romance. Nice music.
7. Haider : Shahid was so good in this film, Tabu was magnificent, and it was nice seeing Shraddha play a female with a brain (have you seen Ek Villain?). It is a tragedy though, and there is sadness and snow. The music was gorgeous, so gorgeous that I’m just grateful to be able to listen to one great man’s poetry put to such delicate music by another genius.
6. Dedh Ishqiya : An intricately plotted film with zany, peculiar characters. Quite entertaining despite having to wade through chaste Urdu dialogues.
5. Mardaani : Rani Mukherjee playing a fearless, intelligent, dhishum-dhishum cop, a niche mostly reserved for heroes. And she does it well.
3. P.K. : Humorous, wholesome and pretty clean entertainment.
2. Aankhon Dekhi : A gorgeous film. By a film-maker who knows what he is doing.
1. Queen : Many Bollywood movies pretend to show female empowerment or have their characters mouth off on respecting women, but they have nary a clue. This film does. And how. Besides all that, Kangana is marvelous.